Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Isabel C. Merriman


My name is Isabel Merriman, and I am a sophomore from Cleveland, Ohio. I am majoring in Integrated Media and Strategic Communication, and I am one of the two students running this blog for the semester. I chose Mercyhurst for several reasons. One of the main reasons was the Learning Differences program. I felt I would be set up for success not only for my time at Mercyhurst but in the work world as well.



I loved the size of the University and its values. My career goal is to give back to people with special needs of any form, by creating more jobs, pathways, and opportunities for those who face challenges. I grew up with a brother who has cognitive special needs; it isn't always easy being an older sister to your older brother. When I was in the fifth grade, I was taking a typing class, but I couldn't keep up due to my learning differences. So, I started volunteering in the multi-handicap room and did that until I graduated high school.


During the last month of my senior year, I did my senior project at MCPc. MCPc is the Cyber Security company partnered with Mercyhurst.  During my time there, I interviewed corporate executives of many tech companies. I brought awareness to the apps and software that have helped people on the spectrum excel as well as different opportunities that could be implemented at those companies for those who face different challenges.

At the end of my freshman year, I got cut from the rowing team, and I brought up creating a more inclusive relationship between athletics and the AIM program. The idea will have a few pilot programs this coming year.

I am looking forward to posting bios about others around campus, so we can get to know one another better. It is common to walk past someone or talk to someone yet know little to nothing about that person. The goal of this blog is to help us get to know one another around campus.




- Isabel C. Merriman



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Amanda Mulder

Amanda Mulder is a 34 year old full-time student at Mercyhurst University in Erie, Pennsylvania. She is from Butler, Pennsylvania, a small ...